What is Paeds Cardiology?
Paeds Cardiology is the practice of a Paeds Cardiologist who is a doctor who diagnoses and treats children with heart conditions. Paeds Cardiologist works with patients before birth, through childhood, and into adulthood.
Paeds Cardiology is concerned with diseases of the heart in a growing individual. Paeds cardiologists broadly treat heart diseases present at birth, variations in heartbeat rhythm, and disturbances of circulatory function.
What diseases can be treated by a Paeds Cardiologist?
Paeds Cardiologists can treat diseases related to the cardiovascular system. Some of the diseases that can be treated by a Paeds Cardiologist are:
• cardiovascular collapse in infancy
• cardiac failure in infants and children
• cyanosis in the newborn and beyond (where the skin has a bluish tinge, due to lung or circulatory problems)
• children with heart murmurs
• children and adolescents with chest pain, palpitations, or fainting
• patients with congenital heart disease
• cardiovascular abnormalities in neonatal intensive care
• fetal cardiac abnormalities
• paediatric cardiac transplantation
• assessment of children prior to cardiac surgery
• assessment of children with cardiac disease who are undergoing non-cardiac surgery
• management of critically ill children with cardiac problems
• transposition of the great arteries
Procedures and interventions carried out in case of a present cardiac issue include:
• electrocardiogram (ECG)
• advanced imaging – CT/MRI
• diagnostic and therapeutic catheterization
• exercise testing
• cardiac event recording
• chest x-ray
• balloon atrial septostomy – a small hole is created in the upper two chambers of the heart to increase oxygen saturation
DR NARESH KUMAR CHOHAN – FCPS (Paediatric Cardiology) & FCPS (Paediatric)